For My New Photo Gallery Click Here
More Photos In This Series

Monday 30 January 2012

Get Up Close and Personal With The Waders (2)---Marsh Sandpiper



Like the Pied Avocet, the Marsh Sandpiper is another species that takes advantage of the warm winter in Hong Kong.




Unlike the Pied Avocet, the Marsh Sandpipper has a fine and needle-like thin bill with a white “eyebrow” above the eye. 





They are often seen wading in shallow water, 




as well as mudflats,







looking for small aquatic insects. 





Occasionally, they even dip their head in the water for a quick catch.


   The fact that the appearance of Marsh Sandpiper is very similar to the Common Greenshank makes it very hard to distinguish these two species. A correction would be appreciated if there has been a case of mistaken identity. 

10 comments:

Russell Jenkins said...

Lovely wader and great close-ups.

Bob Bushell said...

I love the Marsh Sandpiper. My favourite is number 7, superb.

john said...

The Marsh Sandpipers and Common Greenshanks remind me of the North American Lesser and Greater Yellowlegs. Similar sizes and shapes. Do you get to see the Marsh Sandpipers and Greenshanks in their breeding plummage? I always admire your photos.

Tammy said...

Excellent! Great series of the Marsh Sandpiper!

Claudia said...

Lovely series of the Marsh Sandpiper! Well done.

I wish you all the best.

老人と瀬戸内海 said...

とても沢山のシギたちが自然の中で楽しそうです。(^_^)
素晴らしい写真です。

Chris said...

Well I'm not able to correct your ID, I've never seen any of these two species! But you got a wonderful set of pictures with wonderful composition! I love it...

Bonnie K said...

Thanks for sitting on my cold porch for a spell. I love your sandpiper photos. They remind me of the killdeer birds we had grrwoing up on the Missouri River. I bet their little babies are fuzzballs with legs also.

- Yvonaut -
Das sind Raphael und Yvonne
said...

Very cool shot of the waders!
Many greetings from Switzerland
Yvonne & Raphael

Celeste said...

I can't imagine how many hours of my life I have spent identifying and misidentifying waders! They are so tricky.
Beautiful photos.