For My New Photo Gallery Click Here
More Photos In This Series

Tuesday 9 November 2010

Sleeping Beauty--White-rumped Munia

The White-rumped Munia is a small bird (about 11cm in length) and a resident breeding bird in tropical southern Asia including Hong Kong. 

From their appearance we can see that they are related to the finch family. 
 
They feed mainly on seeds.
 
The White-rumped Munias are often seen feeding in woodlands and urban parks. A few days ago, I was lucky to see a sleeping White-rumped Munia in my local park. I have seen birds sleeping on trees but this was the first time that I encountered a bird sleeping on the ground.

The bed was some dry leaves under the shade of grass. 

I managed to stay a few meters away without waking it up. 

 
After a few minutes, the bird must have sensed my presence. 

I guess it might be very tired because the bird gave me a sleepy look and went straight back to sleep. I was so pleased to have been able to capture this sleeping beauty




In fact, this one was not the only bird who didn’t mind me being around. One bird looked straight into my camera. 

Another one even posed for this portrait.

I was so impressed with their feathers which looked like a big shawl on their shoulders.  

 
Another common bird in South Asia, the Scaly-breasted Munia, looks very similar to the White-rumped Munia, except its underparts are white with black scale markings. 



14 comments:

Janny said...

Beautiful serie from the Birds
my compliments its very nice
Greeting Janny

Bob Bushell said...

A nice and beautiful bird. The White-rumped Munia is something else.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

What a great series. I guee the leaves are much more comfortable than trying to balance on a branch. :) This one sure did pose nicely for you.

Denis Degullacion said...

Hi from Borneo.

Very nice sequence of Munia pictures. Enjoy it.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

What a lovely post. I guess it is much more comfortable amongst the leaves than trying to balance on a branch. He sure did pose nicely for you. :)

Can I please ask you a bug favour? Very often, like earlier this morning, when I try to submit a comment, it spams me with 100 copies of your page. This has to do with embedded comment box on some of the blogs. If you could change it to a pop-out comment box like mine, this does not happen. When it spams like that I have to switch off my computer and so loose whatever else I had on it. It would be greatly appreciated if you could change it.

Thanks,
Joan

Anonymous said...

Superb

Dejemonos sorprender said...

Waw, nice pictures, the close-ups are fantastics! i liked it..

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Thanks for the change. It should work perfectly now. If it does it again I will let you know.

Ayuwat Jearwattanakanok said...

A very lovely series of photos! Both species are very common in my hometown in Thailand as well, but I never get tired of seeing them.

Mike Randall Bird Photography said...

Great for you to share these birds.
I have never seen anything like the sleeping beauty on the ground

Mike Barth said...

A lovely series !
I recently photographed Scaly-Breasted here in Dubai - obvious escapes but living very much the 'wild' life !

Friend of HK said...

Thank you for the kind comments and I am delighted that you enjoyed the story.

Craig Glenn said...

Great series! Love the close ups of the feathers! Thanks for sharing!

Craig Glenn
Craig's Bird Watching and Nature Blog

Chris said...

Beautiful series of pictures of a nice bird i will never see over here... it looks like you really got to see the sleeping beauty ;-)