For My New Photo Gallery Click Here
More Photos In This Series

Saturday 16 October 2010

Colourful Birds

I have talked a lot about birds in my neighbourhood, today I will introduce to you some of the colourful birds in Hong Kong.  

My favourite one is the beautiful Silver-Eared Mesia . It is a medium sized bird (body length:16-18cm; weight: 15g). It can be seen in Hong Kong in Autumn and Winter.  Unlike most birds, the Silver-eared Mesia prefers fruit such as berries to worms.




The Orange-Bellied Leafbird is another one of my favourites. They are slightly bigger than the Silver-eared Mesia and like to feed on nectar as well as insects and fruit.
 
Both sexes have an orange coloured belly but the male (top 3) is much more colourful than the female (bottom 2).






The tiny Fork-tailed Sunbird (9 cm long) is a common bird seen not only in woodlands but also in urban parks.
 
Like the Orange-Bellied Leafbird, the Fork-tailed Sunbird also shows dimorphism, with the male being much more colourful than the female. You can see from their delicate beaks that they are nectar eaters and are often seen looking for food among flowers. This is a male feeding on a Coral tree.





This is a female visiting my garden a few weeks ago.




7 comments:

Dominic Gendron said...

Thats a lot of colors! Great serie of images!

Amila Kanchana said...

What beautiful birds,look at all those colors!

Chris said...

Wow mamma mia, I'd love to get so coorful birds aournd, especially warblers and co ;-) Beautiful post... I love the third shot a lot!

Monts said...

Super image of some stunning birds, I enjoyed them all.

JRandSue said...

Stunning images,fabulous colours.
John.

Phil Slade said...

That Silver-Eared Mesia is almost unrealit is so colourful. Great photos, thanks for sharing them.

Carol said...

And I thought the Painted Buntings that visit my yard were beautiful! The picture of the little female is very nice, even though she doesn't have the colors, she is beautiful.